Lawmakers have to pass the state budget by May 8th per the Missouri constitution and we need your help to deliver a message on behalf of Missouri students.
This Monday, April 27th, Missouri legislators will reconvene in Jefferson City after having been out of the Capitol due to the COVID 19 virus. Oftentimes, during a crisis, systems that are already dysfunctional can become even less reliable. The global pandemic has changed all of our lives dramatically. Governor Parson has already cut millions from this year’s budget and higher education has taken the hugest hit. College was already expensive and out of reach for so many prior to the virus outbreak and will be even more so now.
Can you join us in reaching out to the Governor and the Missouri legislature with two important asks:
- Protect Access Missouri: Access Missouri is the state’s need-based financial aid program. At a time when our economic future is uncertain and millions nationally are unemployed, aid for students with financial aid is critical. Ask legislative leaders to protect precious financial aid dollars!
- Allow In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students: Undocumented students in Missouri are charged international tuition rates because of language in the higher education budget bill. Lawmakers choose to insert this language every year. This year, they can choose not to inflict undue financial burden in the midst of a health and economic crisis. Ask legislative leaders to leave out or remove language in the budget (House Bill 2003) related to immigration status.
Here’s how you can help:
- Contact elected leaders in Missouri.
- Tell a friend to contact theirs!
- Download the social media graphic.
- Example Captions
- ? Action Alert! Here is a way to support students while quarantined at home. On April 27th, Missouri legislators will go back in session to pass the state budget. The legislature has to make difficult decisions about how to balance the budget and millions have already been held for 2020. Please join me in reminding legislators to think of Missouri’s students while making those difficult decisions. Visit sfstl.org/action-alert to learn more and contact your legislators.
- ? Action Alert – Support Immigrant Students! Undocumented students in Missouri are charged international tuition rates because of language in the higher education budget bill. In the midst of a health and economic crisis, it is cruel to impose an undue financial burden on students and families. Ask our legislative leaders to leave out or remove language in House Bill 2003 related to immigration status.
- ? Action Alert – Protect Financial Aid! Thousands of Missourians have been laid off or have reduced wages. Fortifying the state’s only need-based financial aid program, not cutting it, is an investment we need the state to make right now. College was barely affordable prior to the virus outbreak and will be even less affordable now.
- Download this page and email it to your friends and ask them to call their legislators.
We thank you for working to support students during these trying times. It’s important for lawmakers to hear directly from students and other community members.